Tuesday, March 14, 2017

goats & sunsets



It’s been awhile since I’ve felt “inspired” (or maybe “motivated” is the better word) to write.  My first service group came and went, I traveled to Israel for JDC Mid-Year Seminar, and now I’m about to have another service group.  That pretty much sums it up.  In between I turned 23 (yay?), read a couple of books, and ate approximately 6 mangos and 4 pineapples.   I’ve also started to accept that at the end of the day, even though I do love it here, it is just a job.  We have plenty of paperwork to complete and emails upon emails upon emails, but there are also the little moments of pure joy.  I don’t just mean seeing baby goats or a beautiful sunset, but meaningful conversations with people. 

On the day I returned from Israel I drove to the Village with several of the Science Center teachers.  Incredibly animated and thoughtful, we immediately got into a conversation about the intersections of religion and science.  They didn’t hesitate about asking me my thoughts on Jesus, God, Heaven, and Hell, and I turned around and asked them right back.  Then yesterday afternoon, while playing volleyball with a student, we had some of those same conversations.  He even started to ask me things like “if you had to change one thing about your body, what would it be,” or “if you were going to die in a few minutes, what is one thing you wish you would have said to someone?”  These students never cease to amaze me.   I’m supposed to be helping them with English but I think I receive a lot more in return.

Thank you to some awesome cousins for making me feel special on my birthday :) Peter made a delicious cake out of an amandazi (donut) and fried bananas with chocolate!

Cookies & ice cream in Israel

Wouldn't be a visit to the Holy Land without a stop at the Western Wall!

Sunrise yoga with some members of a service group

1 comment:

  1. It is a sobering thought that most of our days are filled with mundane tasks but it is the little special moments and connections that draw you back into the world of amazement and wonder. Focusing on those little bits of inspiration helps us all get through the rest of it. Love the pics and you!

    Je t'aime, Mumsie

    ReplyDelete