Monday, December 26, 2016

I don't have a creative title

But I do have a few observations & pictures:

 -       Kigali is very clean and beautiful.  We’re staying in the ASYV house here and heading to the village tomorrow! 
-       The traffic lights count down the seconds left of being red or green.
-       When you’re white you get looked at a lot.
-       Christmas Eve/First night of Hanukkah we made dinner together and set off sparklers after.
-       We spent Christmas day at Hotel Mille Collines, the place where Hotel Rwanda happened.  
-       Rwandans are not fans of Hotel Rwanda, nor its main character, Paul Rusesabagina.  He used the money to fund rebels.
-       I get to have an intern!  His name is Mabubu and he is awesome.  We’re also two years apart but whatever we’re going to have fun together.  My job will be hard but rewarding – two very important qualities.  I’m looking forward to getting into the swing of things.
-       We have been treated to some very nice meals in beautiful restaurants.  I guess they’re trying to ease us into things?
-       I’ve noticed that Kinyarwanda is like English in that words are not always spelled exactly how they sound.

More in-depth thoughts to come later.  I'm so excited to get to ASYV tomorrow!!!

Mabubu!

One of my favorite flowers 

Pool view at Mille Collines

View from the balcony at Mille Collines

Clementine & the Fellows on Christmas Eve/the first night of Hanukkah!

Sparklers



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creative titles are over rated! You could just be practical and call it "Kigali - First Impressions." So glad you love your new country already. Can't wait to hear more about life in the village!

    ReplyDelete