Monday, May 16, 2016

Family & Country

I miss my family; they mean everything to me. Their love and support is the reason I can live away from them for so long. I include a few very close friends in that. I’ve also noticed the importance of family with my host family here. It's very interesting to live with others and see how they function. I have wonderful role models within my own family, but have definitely learned plenty from living with another. 

One of the many things I’ve learned is that when I've figured myself out a little more and am ready to have a family of my own, I want to be close to my family of origin. I used to always like the idea of being an expat. I glorified the way expats seem to endlessly explore.  I'm not so into it anymore. Though like any place, my country has its issues (ahem Republican frontrunner), the USA is still my home. I'm a North Florida girl with a love of New York and Brasil and so many other places, but I love the constant heat and humidity and springs and sunshine and all of the things and people that make it my home. 

Another thing I’ve learned from living with another family is that inter generational mixing is so important.  I kind of knew this already from having wonderful grandparents of my own, but now that I’m older, it’s even more fun to watch grandparents hang out with the little ones.  I would also like for family members to be able to vacation together or hang out not for reasons related to a holiday or someone's birthday. I know I write this as I just missed my mom’s birthday and Mother’s Day weekend (I already missed Passover, Hanukkah, the list goes on), but I hope she knows she still means the world to me.  I may be 22 years old now but I still need my mom.  She’s pretty cool and she’s changed her entire hairstyle since I’ve been gone so I need to go back and check it out. 


I’ve also learned that having a family is damn difficult.  Major props to all the parents out there.  Balancing work and childcare and trying to do something for yourself once in awhile is incredibly difficult.  My American and German families both do it well and I’m extremely grateful to them and everything I am continuing to learn.  Luv yew guyz.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you tons too! This adventure has been an amazing journey - you have grown so much as a result in ways that were not expected. You are smart and competent and can handle any travel and related challenges like a pro. We are all very proud of you and cannot wait to see you stateside!

    ReplyDelete