Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Blüht, Blut, Blöd

I am well aware the English language has many flaws.  Words often sound completely different than how one spells them - take “though” (though I still dislike when people text “tho”) or “colonel” (I’ll never forget the one time I wrote out “Kernel Sanders” on a bunch of papers for a CISV game) for instance.  Then of course there are the words spelled the same but with different meanings – lead (what comes out of the taps in Flint) vs. lead (me following the giant dog who takes me on a walk), wind (that motion boys do with their arms before they punch a wall or something else stupid) vs. wind (it smells really bad when you blow by the fields here), the list goes on and on.  One of my favorite parts of learning new languages is though some may seem easier than others, they all have their little conundrums. 

Let’s look at German for a minute.  After all, German class started again today, and since I’m clearly not working on my homework, I can at least mull over the language a bit.  When you conjugate the verb “to bloom” to say a flower blooms, blooms becomes “blüht.”  The word for “blood” is “blut.”  And a nice way of saying someone is stupid (is there really a nice way?) is “blöd.”  Just a few subtle differences in pronunciation between these few words are sometimes difficult for my American mouth.  I’m slowly getting the hang of it, but needless to say, I find the fact they are all practically the same word a little blut.  On that note, I should probably go study some Deutsch. 


P.S. Shout out to my brother who Facetimed me today and wanted to be included in the blog J As always, I appreciate your humor and purposeful mispronunciations of words. 

1 comment: