Saturday, July 12, 2014

Biringelis!

The title, Biringelis, comes from the Portuguese word for eggplant, which is biringela.  It also happens to be one of my favorite foods and one of my host brother's favorite words to say.  My host family has been the best part of living here.  They are the kindest people you will ever meet, and I know I will miss them very much when I leave (which is in less than a week!).  I'll probably never eat an eggplant again without thinking of my wonderful, intelligent, silly, musical, and loving host family.

I have experienced many new things this week.  At the local football club, Avai, we heard some of the players and trainers speak about how football works in Brasil.  Clubs focus on finding and training young talent.  By creating these stars, they hope to create teams who will work well together.  Our study abroad program did a training session run by the coaches.  It was quite fun for us, and I'm sure they were silently laughing at the gringos attempting to play.

We visited the Trash Museum and the city recycling center.  The Trash Museum was really neat as every piece of art was created from something found.  Not a single thing was bought, including paints and other materials.  The goal of the museum is to get visitors to go back to their roots and think about life before technology.  Think about the things you actually need, before you go on creating more trash.  The recycling center the museum is connected to is staffed by a cooperative of families.  They earn their daily living by separating the materials and selling recyclables such as aluminum and paper.  In Florianopolis, it used to be law to through your trash into the sea. Nowadays, trash gets sent to a landfill on the mainland. They have come a long way since then, and are currently working on more composting projects to accompany the standard recycling program.

Dancing!  I attended a Flamenco show with my host mom.  The dancing and singing were absolutely beautiful!  It may not be a traditional Brasilian thing to do, but it was a new experience for me.  In terms of traditional Brasilian things, I have danced forro a few times.  I love that dancing here is actually dancing as compared to the United States...

I am constantly discovering beautiful parts of nature here.  Yesterday I hiked to a waterfall where you can jump off the top or use a rope swing and swim around.  Although I often find trash in the more used parts of nature here, it's nice to see that the trails are always respected.

I'm beginning to realize just how important multilingualism is.   I used to just see knowing another language as something that could help me get a job, but it is so much more than that.  Being able to speak with someone in their own language will gain you instant respect.  It is easy to connect with other cultures over their food, but as soon as you can speak about what you are eating, many more doors will open. On that note, I am practicing switching between spanish and portuguese and it's getting better!  One last thing about language - I mentioned in my last post that I'm reading Harry Potter in Portuguese.  Hufflepuff in portuguese is "Lufa-Lufa."  Like the stuff you use when you're taking a shower.  Anyways, time to write some essays and eat some biringelis. Pictures to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. What an enriching experience you are having! So proud of how you have immersed yourself in the environment by opening your mind and your heart to language, culture and your amazing host family.

    ReplyDelete