Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wintertime in Brasil

By that I mean I walked off of the plane to a beautiful 60 degrees.  There is plenty of sunshine, and all of the trees and flowers are blooming!  Florianopolis (Floripa, as Brasilians refer to it and as I'll call it from here on out) is a very hilly island full of many trees and hidden beaches.  I can't wait to get to know it!  Riso, my host mom, picked me up at the airport and then showed me around the neighborhood.  She's the Dean of Biological Sciences at the university where I'll be studying Portuguese, and she also happens to live a couple of blocks from it.  I love that I'll be able to walk from home to school to the market to wherever!  On that note, I'm off to go explore so I don't sit here and succumb to the jetlag :)  Quick side note about planes though - my bag was not to be found when I arrived in Sao Paulo.  Someone supposedly walked off with it, but if they're going to try and fit their feet into my giant shoes they'll realize that will never work and will hopefully give my bag back.  Although the airlines just told me that maybe someone didn't take my bag and that it might still be in Miami?  I don't know what the deal is, I just know I'd prefer not to buy Brasilian underwear...



UFSC has some beautiful art: on the top is a part of a Mosaic telling some of Brasil's history, and on the bottom are two llamas representing South America.

1 comment:

  1. Floripa is gorgeous! Happy you received your luggage and didn't have to buy the confusing front-looks-just-like-the-back undies!

    ReplyDelete