Saturday, May 31, 2014

Food for Thought

(Literally and figuratively)

Produce in the markets doesn't have to be perfect.  They sell guavas with blemishes and each carrot doesn't have to be the same size.  Oranges aren't modified to be seedless or perfectly orange.

There's also less of an emphasis on foods being local and organic, simply because many things are.

A large shot of cachaca (Brasilian alcohol made from sugar cane, kind of like tequila) often costs the same as a small bottle of water.

Police in the city of Sao Paulo kill the same amount of people in one year as the entire police force in USA.

More kids die in Rio de Janeiro to police and drug violence than do kids in Israel and Palestine.

I can't remember who said this, but you might say it's true of USA in some cases: "Brasilians are really uncomfortable in situations of equality."

These are just a few things I've noticed or heard from professors.  Like any place, Brasil has its ups and downs.  So far, it has treated me nicely (I have luggage again), and I know it will continue to do so!


1 comment:

  1. Diggin' the produce side of things but those are some sobering facts that follow. I think I'll take a large shot of cachaca with salt and a lime.

    ReplyDelete